United South Middle School
Ms. Quintanilla’s 6th Grade ELAR Syllabus
Teacher: Ms. A. Quintanilla
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tel. (956) 473-7700
- Conference Time: 1:35 pm – 2:30 pm
- Sixth grade English Language Arts and Reading (ELAR) will continue students’ growth in the areas of reading, writing, listening, speaking, discussion, and reflection. Reading strategies, critical thinking skills, and vocabulary building. The focus for writing instruction will be narrative, informational, and argumentative writing with requirements based on Common Core standards. The overall goal of the class is to increase the literacy and writing ability of students.
- Composition Book (100 Sheets)
- Grades will be given at the end of the six weeks according to school policy. Progress reports will be issued during the third week of the six weeks. Students will be graded different ways: daily grades and tests. Percentages are as follow:
- Daily Grades (Class work): 50%
- Tests: 50%
- It is the student’s responsibility to ask for, to complete and to turn in work for excused absences. All students are required to participate with choral reading, writing assignments, reading assignments, and group projects.
- Enter the classroom: Quietly, walk to your assigned seat, and start on classwork.
- Restroom: Permission may be obtained during student work time to go to the restroom (not during instruction or the first/last 15 minutes of class).
- Dress Code: Must follow school policy.
- Technology: Must follow school policy.
- Follow Instructions: Listen to directions, read assignments, and ask questions.
- Teacher dismisses students: You will be dismissed by the teacher, not the bell. Wait silently to be dismissed.
- Computers will only be used when directed by the teacher. Students that do not abide will face consequences and may lose computer privileges. Parent notifications will be made.
- Food or Drinks are NOT allowed in the classroom.
- File Swapping, downloading any type of file, and playing music/videos on the computers is prohibited.
- Students are not allowed to change any computer settings (Student computers are always monitored by teacher).
- Playing games will NOT be tolerated at any time in class.
- Be Respectful: Use appropriate language. Be respectful and wait for your turn.
- Be Orderly: Follow directions. Keep hands, feet and objects to yourself.
- Be Accountable: Be ready to learn. Always have required materials.
- Be Responsible: Be on time. Complete all assignments.
Positive Behavior Supports:
- Verbal and written praise
- Positive call, note, e-mail to parent or legal guardian
- Participation in school wide events (extracurricular activities, pep rallies, dances)
- Reteach Expectations & Procedures
- Teacher/ Student Conference
- Parent/Guardian Conference
- Withdrawal of Privileges
- Discipline Referral to Administration
- Severe Clause: Refer immediately to administration